I keep the environmental blog, in Portuguese, VerdeSangue (http://verdesangue.wordpress.com) on environmental issue in Portugal and the world.
Verissimo, D. (2012) Selling biodiversity: Why we need marketing. Biodiversity Science, 5
Magazines and Newspaper articles
- “Vendendo um planeta melhor” (in Portuguese) – Published in the Magazine “Parks and Wildlife” this article discusses the need to integrate marketing theory in the efforts to preserve biodiversity.
- ”Ilhas Saltees: o reino das aves marinhas” (in Portuguese) – Published in the “Pardela” the magazine of the Portuguese Society for the study of birds. This article dwells of the bird species that live on the Saltee Islands of the Southeastern coast of Ireland.
- ”Conservação da Biodiversidade: Do Global ao Local” (in Portuguese) – Published in the magazine “Parks and Wildlife”, this article argues for a greater local participation in the efforts to conserve biodiversity and explores the different ways of setting priorities
- ”Verde Sangue ” (in Portuguese) – Since September 2009 I have started an opinion column on science and environment for the local newspaper “Voz da minha terra”. All articles are posted on my environmental blog: “Verde Sangue” .
- ”Turning the turtle ” – Published in the magazine “BBC Wildlife “, this article revolves around a heart warming story of a marine turtle rescued from poachers and back to its natural habitat, the ocean.
- ”A far away visitor ” (in Spanish) – Published in the Costa Rican newspaper “The voice of Tortuguero ” in co-authorship with Rebeca Chaverri. This article presents the story of a juvenile marine turtle found in Playa Norte, Costa Rica, covered in tar oil and the process of its recovery.
- ”Welcome to Caño Palma Biological Station ” (in Spanish) – Published in the Costa Rican newspaper “The voice of Tortuguero ” in co-authorship with Stephanny Arce. This article presents a short overview of the history and current research projects of the Caño Palma Biological Station situated 8 kms to the north of Tortuguero, Costa Rica. .
- ”Birds of Sri Lanka” (in Portuguese) – Published in the magazine “Pardela”, the magazine of the Portuguese Society for the Study of Birds. This article explores the ornithological richness of Sri Lanka and the challenges to its conservation.
- ”The mosquito” (in Portuguese) – Published in the magazine “Parks and Wildlife”, edited by the Gaia Biological Park. This article analyses the outcomes of the fourth International Conference for Environemntal Education which took place in Ahmedabad, Índia.
- ” Flagship species: From tourists to conservationists ” – Published in the magazine “Zwazo”, edited by the NGO “Nature Seychelles”. This article revolves around the potential tourism can have as a means to conserve Seychellois biodiversity and how flagship species can help turn tourists into conservationists.
- ”The Pipa Ecological Reserve ” (in Portuguese) – Published in the magazine “Parks and Wildlife”, edited by the Gaia Biological Park. This article focuses on the importance of the Pipa Ecological Reserve in the context of the Conservation of the Atlantic forest, one of the most threatened ecosystems in the world.